Saint Paul is the oldest daughter church of Saint Mary’s Collegiate church in Gqeberha.
In the 18th of October 1954 the foundation stone for the Old Saint Paul’s in North End was laid by Bishop John Armstrong, bishop of Grahamstown at that time.
The bishop of Cape Town and the bishop of Grahamstown pledged £450 on the condition that the congregation would raise a further £250.
The original St. Paul’s Church was located at the bottom of Albany road, corner of Govan Mbeki Avenue. There was a tiny little school next to it and also a trough for horses to drink water from.
Due to the movement of the congregation to new areas, the church was demolished in 1959 and the site sold, a new St Paul’s Church being built in Tucker Street, in the suburb of Parsons Hill, to replace the old one.
The reasons for this proposed move were the decreasing population around the old church, the expropriation that was to accompany the widening of Main Street as well as the deterioration of the buildings. In 1960, the move finally occurred.
The present Church reflects the continuity of witness over more than 150 years, in the magnificent stained glass windows, the pulpit, lectern and other items transferred from the original church. These are now housed in a modern building, a feature of which is the Chapel. One side of the chapel is glassed in, enabling the congregation, while they are at worship, to look out over the beautiful parish gardens.
Address: 16 Tucker St, Parsons Hill, Gqeberha, 6059
Phone: +27 41 374 3124
Web Site: https://stpaulschurch.co.za/

Collegiate Girls’ High School
Leave a Reply